North End Flood Risk Assessment
Flood Risk Assessment & Options Study
Waitaki District Council was concerned with the recent flooding in the areas surrounding Muddy Creek including residential and industrial areas and the State Highway.
Fluent Solutions was engaged to investigate and provide a flood hazard assessment of the area and recommend options to improve the current situation.
Specific services included:
- Visual inspection of the existing Muddy Creek drainage system
- Hydrological assessment of the flood response expected from catchments draining to Muddy Creek
- Hydrological modelling using HIRDS rainfall data
- Preliminary design of infrastructure to cope with major storms
- Option Assessments
- Cost estimates
- Flood management options report
Any disruption to communication and transport links need to be considered very carefully when reviewing improvement options. Innovative solutions were determined to overcome significant challenges imposed by undersized bridges and culverts to minimise the disruption and overall cost of upgrades required.